· $8.5 million over two years, starting in 2022-23, to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission to establish a new legislative and regulatory regime to require digital platforms that generate revenues from news content to share a portion of their revenues with Canadian news outlets.
• To support diverse and local stories in news media, the Budget provides $15 million in 2023-24 to Canadian Heritage as follows:
- $10 million in 2023-24 for the Local Journalism Initiative to support journalism for underserved communities across Canada
- $5 million in 2023-24 to launch a new Changing Narratives Fund to break down systemic barriers in the media and cultural sectors and help racialized and religious minority journalists, creators, and organizations have their experiences and perspectives better represented.
• $40 million over three years, starting in 2022-23, for the Canada Periodical Fund to support journalistic content and to help publications adapt to the continually evolving technology and media consumption habits of Canadians.
The full budget is available here.